FOUR BENEFITS OF VOLVO VDS-4.5 PREMIUM ENGINE OIL
For the petroleum industry, 2017 is the year of CK-4. Unfortunately, this new category of engine oil has also led to confusion among drivers and fleet managers who aren’t sure if they should use it.
For most trucks and fleets, the answer is “yes.” Here’s why.
CK-4 engine oils were developed in response to new industry standards that are intended to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and improve fuel economy. This category of heavy-duty diesel engine oils was originally referred to as PC-11, for the American Petroleum Institute’s (API) Proposed Category 11. Once finalized, the name was changed to CK-4.
Although CK-4 engine oils are designed for modern high-efficiency engines, they are also backward compatible. This means that CK-4 oils are engineered to have no adverse effects in older equipment.
This CK-4 category of engine oil offers four major improvements compared to older oils:
- Better fuel economy – CK-4 oils are referred to as high-temperature, high-shear viscosity oils.
- Greater shear stability – CK-4 oils stay thick when they need to be thick to absorb heat and prevent friction.
- Increased oxidation stability – Oxidation is accelerated by higher temperatures. CK-4 oils addresses this concern with newer, hotter-running engines.
- Enhanced aeration control – Aeration can create foam in engine oil, which decreases its ability to transfer heat and inhibits its metal-protective qualities.
Volvo VDS-4.5 is an Enhanced CK-4 Engine Oil
Volvo VDS-4.5 Premium Engine Oil is our answer to CK-4. First available to the public in late 2016, Volvo VDS-4.5 reflects years of research and development to create a product that meets – and even exceeds – API standards.
For example, Volvo VDS-4.5 Premium Engine Oil:
- Provides the same viscosity (10W-30) as Volvo’s previous factory-fill while offering enhanced oxidation stability and aeration control
- Offers compatibility with three duty cycles – long haul, regional haul and heavy haul
- Extends the recommended drain intervals for oils and filters to 60,000 miles for normal duty, 45,000 miles for heavy duty and 35,000 miles for severe duty
- Reduces downtime by eliminating four to 16 oil changes over a truck’s lifetime
For most fleets, switching to Volvo VDS-4.5 will be a smooth process. Your local Volvo Trucks dealership can help. You can also order Volvo VDS-4.5 Premium Engine Oil directly from the SELECT Part Store™, along with other Volvo Genuine engine oils and filters. SELECT enrollment is free, with members-only discounts and fast delivery right to your door.